The Oni-Con Spook Show Report


Where to start?

First, let me say the Oni-Con AV crew was great. They had the cables wrangled and the set-up ready for me to plug and pray. And despite that we still had gremlins in the works. An over sensitive SVideo connector gave us the blue screen of no signal from the start. Between roving mic-monkey Bruce Lewis and Video Programming Director Mike Unfried we lost the video feed a few more times over the course of the night. So the AnimeHELL tradition of video snafu was upheld.

The night before the show I found out that HELL had only been scheduled for one hour. I didn't want to drive 4 plus hours to Houston just to put on a one hour show. Thankfully, the OtakuHELL color commentator Bruce Lewis intervened and was able to get the Oni-Con powers that be to expand the show to 3 hours. Unfortunately nobody told the Red Vs. Blue guys who were scheduled to be in Video Room 1 at 8pm, but were moved to Video Room 2. It could've turned into a french farce, but didn't. The Rooster Teeth folks showed up, found the HELL spook show and after hanging around for a while gave their Red Vs. Blue DVD to some fans and disappeared into the Houston night. We did direct the R vs. B entourage into Video Room 2 where the DVD was shown without a hitch, and I apologized to the Rooster Teeth guys Sunday morning and bought a couple of their DVDs to make up for it.

The show was great. With Bruce Lewis on the mic I started the show with some scary movie trailers and some intermission shorts. I'll have to check the tape to see what played next, but I remember showing the Gobelins short SUPER TIBETAN RACER followed by the transforming robot C-4 commercial and following it up with the SPEED RACER THEME. From there it's all a blur. There was a lot of new clips, ATTACK OF THE SUPER MONSTERS, TOMB OF DRACULA, IT ONLY TAKES A SECOND, LIFE IS FOR LIVING, CORY HAIM ME MYSELF AND I, and the horror kept coming. And of course there was the crowd pleasing FORKLIFT DRIVER KLAUS, and NINJA SQUAD for some retro 80s pain. The Betty Boop cartoon MINNIE THE MOOCHER wasn't as well recieved as I'd hoped, maybe I need to trim it down for the next show...

All in all I had a great time, and I hope everybody enjoyed the show. I hope we can come back and do it again at next year's Oni-Con.
-danno!

0 comments:

Post a Comment