Macross Frontier OST 2: Nyan Tra Review (FULL REVIEW!)

Macross Frontier WallpaperHere it is: My Macross Frontier OST 2 Nyan Tra Review!!
Sorry it took me so long... Well, anyway this is the second OST for Macross Frontier and like the first one (duh!) the music was written by one of my favorite anime composers, miss Yoko Kanno. I really liked the first OST for Macross Frontier, so I was really excited for this one, especially after listening to all the new songs and music that featured in the last Macross episodes! And thankfully, they're all on this OST, not one of them is missing.
As a side note, I'm listening to the OST while I'm writing this review, so I hope it will be accurate...

Prologue F 7/10 - This track was one of the intro themes. It was featured quite a few times, but I still enjoy it. I starts rather slow and romantic and then becomes a military song near the end. This of course represents all of Macross Frontier's themes, so I think it's quite befitting. To manage to pull that off in very short song is really nice!

Northern Cross 9.5/10 - This song has a very special place in my heart, as it was the first post for this blog! So needless to say, it's one of my favorite tracks on this OST. It was aslo my favorite ED for the show, even before Diamond Crevasse, which I also really like but not as much. I think this song is really shows the energy that Sheryl Nome had throughout the series. The rocky feel to it is trully enjoyeable, especially compared to all the other idol-pop music featured on this OST! A nice J-rock song is always appreciated...

Triangular (fight on stage) 9/10 - Ok, so first of all, I know this song is mostly known as Triangler, but I prefer Triangular, it sounds more English! And I really don't understand the "fight on stage" part. I don't really see it that way. This song ended the Macross Frontier series. And of course it ends with Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee fighting for their man, Alto. So it isn't really fight on stage for me, but fight for Alto! (And I hope Sheryl wins! I'm not a huge fan of Ranka who is far too young for Alto by the way)
If it was really a "fight on stage", for example in a song competition, I'm sure Sheryl would win! Megumi Nakajima's voice can't really compete with May'n's voice!! It's a total win situation for May'n. Her voice is really powerful and dramatic. She really sings from the heart, whereas in my opinion Megumi's weak voice fall flat (even though her voice is rather sweet and girly). So of course May'n really stands out more, when she has to sing with Megumi. I know a lot of people disliked this song from the start, but I really enjoyed it! (Maybe because I'm an unconditional fan from anything done by Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto together). And I must say that this version is even better than the original version. The music also changes from the first version, in particular towards the end.

High School Life 3/10 - I'm really sick of this track. I think it was one of the most overplayed song in the series, and I really dislike its uninteresting melody...

Transformation 8/10 - A nice BGM track. It reminds me of battle music from Gundam Seed or Full Metal Panic. I always like a nice battle song with orchestra and a nice eletronic beat and electric guitar. When done correctly like here, it can really make you feel the action, especially when the action's in outer space! The urgent feel to it is also complemented by this. Yoko Kanno really excels at orchestra music. In some moments it almost feels like a Yuki Kajiura piece. (Yoko and Yuki are my two favorite composers!)

Anata no Oto 7/10 - A Ranka Lee song. Ok, you might have guessed by now that I'm not a huge fan of Megumi Nakajima's voice. But I have to admit that this song is really nice and feels right for her limited vocal abilities... I enjoy the chorus and the use of bells just before the chorus begins!

Test Flight Delight 5/10 – This track is all about flying, and I guess you can really feel it. The string arrangements really make it come true, but apart from that, this track has nothing special. I wish Yoko Kanno would have strained herself a bit more and made the melody less cartoonish, but I’m sure it’s intentional!

Seikan Hikou 4/10 – This song has to be one of the Ranka Lee songs I dislike the most. It sounds so childish, and reminds me of her cheesy dance moves… But I guess cheesy dance moves go along with cheesy idol music. I think it’s maybe not even worth the 4/10 rating I gave it!

Inu Mimi Ranka 3/10 – This BGM track feels like it could belong in a Tom & Jerry cartoon. I guess it suits playful and silly moments, but it’s not something I want to listen to when I’m not watching the Macross Frontier series.

Yousei 6/10 – Aaah, finally a song where Sheryl Nome / May’n can show off her beautiful mature voice! But even with her, the song is still lacking something. Maybe it’s the musical arrangements or the dull melody; I can’t quite put my finger on it… In that regard, I think this must be Sheryl Nome’s weakest song.

Tsuioku no Trumpet 8/10 - A nice trumpet song. I really like the dramatic feel to this song. The melody is really nice, and it could almost be in a soundtrack for a Hollywood blockbuster movie! Like after a battle scene from a Pirate of the Caribbean movie!

Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 7/10 – I really love the original version of this song, so I’m not really sure about this remix. It starts really nicely but then the background music feels quite of off for me. Anyhow, it’s still a beautiful song with so much power! Nice work Yoko Kanno!

Ai Oboete Imasu ka? ~ bless the little queen 8.5/10 – A truly wonderful song sung by Ranka Lee / Megumi Nakajima. I really enjoy the atmospheric and floating feel this song has. You really feel like you’re floating in outer space, like Ranka Lee in the last episodes of Macross Frontier! I always appreciate a sad ballad like this one...

Ao no Ether 10/10 – Yes, I know what you all are thinking… How can I like a Ranka Lee song that much?? Well let me tell you this: I think her voice really shines in this song. It’s a really beautiful sad song with a wonderful orchestral arrangement and heartfelt vocals. Megumi Nakajima’s voice really matches the music for once! But I’m just curious to how it would have sounded like with May’n instead?? I really love the piano in this song, and I’ll soon be posting a video of me playing this song on the piano.

Is this Love? 3/10 – A pointless song in my opinion. I don’t really see the point of this song. It doesn’t feel like anything. Or maybe it would be the perfect soundtrack for someone waiting in an elevator, I don’t know. The keyboards really bug me in this song.

Shadow of Michael 5/10 – Is this song supposed to make us feel sad about Michael’s death? Well, it doesn’t do a thing to me. It’s sad but not that sad. I think Michael deserves a much sadder song, especially since he’s the only important character to die in Macross Frontier. (I didn’t really like him anyway, so it’s not a big loss for me, hehe…)

Aimo O.C. 8/10 – Yet another song sung by Ranka Lee that I like! I must really be in denial! Even after having heard this at least 2000 times (it seems it came in every episode!), I can’t help but still like Aimo. This battle version sounds really nice and effective. Well done Yoko Kanno! It’s so rare for a song to be good in every version! I also like the slow version, the a capella version and the harmonica version.

Battle Frontier 10/10 – The big Battle Finale Song. Will Macross Frontier go down?? I guess not, but this song really sounds dramatic and intense. It’s a wonderful orchestral piece, where Yoko Kanno can show off her immense talent as a composer. It’s not the typical sound that you would expect in a cartoon. This could almost be in a Star Wars movie! Military style music at its best!

Nyan Nyan Service Medley 10/10 - This is my favorite track of the record. Being a huge of the OP song Lion, this is a huge treat for me. When I heard this medley in the final episode, I couldn’t wait to have the OST just for this song! It contains Lion, Infinity, My Boyfriend is a Pilot, Diamond Crevasse, Seikan Hikou, What ‘Bout My Star, Lion (again YES!!), Ai Oboete imasuka, Lion (YET AGAIN!!), and Aimo. If they had managed to insert Northern Cross it would have been an even bigger treat for me. I find the transitions really interesting. It’s much more than a rehash of all the major songs. I love the Ranka Lee part during the last Lion part. It’s so beautiful! I love it that they recorded the songs once more… So rare!

Protoculture 3/10 – What the hell is this?? A song that Björk misplaced? What are all those weird freakish sounds? Are those Vajras?? The piano definitely sounds nice, but it’s not the way I would have ended the record.

Well this is it for my review!! So which tracks did you enjoy??

0 comments:

Post a Comment