Album Review - Everlasting Songs (feat. FictionJunction) by Yuki Kajiura

FictionJunction singersI've been listening to the new Yuki Kajiura album for a few days now. A week ago, I posted the samples of each track(here). I wanted to write about my impression as soon as I finished listening to all the tracks, but for the reasons mentioned in my previous posts, I couldn't bring myself to it. Technically it isn't really a new album. It's more like a remix album, with rearrangements and new vocalists for most of the songs...

Tracklist:

1. Hoshikuzu (The Velveteen Rabbit - self cover of Velvet no Inori)
2. Kioku no Mori (Tsubasa Chronicle OAD: Shunraiki)
3. dream scape (Tsubasa Chronicle)
4. Gin no Hashi (Aquarian Age)
5. Kaze no Machi he (Tsubasa Chronicle Insert)
6. here we stand in the morning dew (Sayonara Solitia single c/w)
7. synchronicity (Tsubasa TOKYO REVELATIONS)
8. Hanamori no Oka (Hokuto no Ken: Toki Den)
9. Mizu no Akashi (Gundam SEED)
10. cazador del amor (El Cazador)
11. Himitsu (Noir)
12. Houseki (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette)
13. Yume no Tsubasa (Tsubasa Chronicle)
14. Michiyuki (LOVELESS)
15. everlasting song (Elemental Gelade)

My Review

7/10 My overall impression is a positive one. I like most of the new re-arranged songs, but I also liked the original one a lot as well, so I've had mixed feelings while reviewing the album. I would have much preferred having new Kajiuran tracks and more epicness (maybe in Ali Project orchestral remix-style! ).

For the track-by-track review, click here.

Hoshikuzu KAORI/KEIKO

The first track is a cover of the Velveteen Rabbit song, Velvet no Inori, originally sung by Noriko Ogawa. Instrumental wise, the only difference is the long instrumental intro that the original song didn't have. This song is a pure pleasure, and I'm having a hard time deciding with version I prefer. Noriko's voice sounds more mature but has a more fragile feel to it than Keiko's or Kaori's. I would have liked to have a different take on the background music though...

Kioku no Mori YUUKA

This is one of the only songs I hadn't heard before. It's from the Tsubasa Chronicle OAD: Shunraiki and features my favorite FictionJunction Vocalist, Yuuka Nanri! It was so nice to hear a new song from her! I was missing her voice so much. The song reminds me of the Madlax songs and more specifically I'm here from the ED single. I love the techno beat and the very catchy chorus. In short, a typical FictionJunction song, since Yuuka is the original FJ vocalist!

Dream scape KAORI

No change from the original version here (Tsubasa Chronicle OST). It would have been nice to hear a re-arranged version, maybe with a different vocalist...

Gin no Hashi WAKANA/KEIKO/KAORI

This is one of the other songs that I had never heard (Shame on me). Apparently the original track is a character song from the Aquarian Age anime. It's nice to have Wakana, Keiko and Kaori sing together. It feels like the Volume 2 DVD concert over again. The song itself is not bad, but not breathtaking either...

Kaze no machi he KEIKO

Same version as the original one from the Tsubasa Chronicle OST. Shame on you Yuki! Why didn't you try it with different arrangements??

Here we stand in the morning dew YURIKO KAIDA

This is one of the other songs that was new to me. It's from the Sayonara Solitia single (whatever that is, I'm to lazy to google it) and it is originally sung by Saeko Chiba. It's nice to have some FictionJunction YURIKO KAIDA for a change! It must feel great not to just be in the background anymore. I have mixed feelings about her voice though. I think she sounds a lot better as a background singer, especially for this song. She has a particular vibrato, and I think for people who are not used to her voice, it can take a while to get used to. Nevertheless, I can say that I enjoyed the song, but only after a few listens!

Synchronicity KEIKO

This was the song I liked the least on the album (Tsubasa TOKYO REVELATIONS). What an atrocious remix! What were they thinking? I really loved the original (here's my piano cover) and I think Yui Makino's voice is much better suited than Keiko's.

Hanamori no oka KAORI

This was the last song that I had previously never heard, and it's one of my favorites!! It has that epic kajiuran feel I was talking about, that some songs on this album are lacking. It's from the Hokuto no Ken: Toki Den anime. I really love the drum roll for the chorus, it makes the song feel so much more powerful! A true joy... I think it's my favorite Kaori song yet!

Mizu no akashi WAKANA

What a treat! I was in love with the original Gundam SEED version, featuring Tanaka Rie. But I love both versions now... Wakana is amazing as ever, and the song is really suited to her beautiful and soaring voice! The music is different than from the original version. No beats in this one. Just a piano and a cello! Superb...

Cazador del amor YUUKA

No change from the original song featured in the El Cazador soundtrack. A beautiful song by Yuuka!

Himitsu YURIKO KAIDA

This is one of the few examples of songs that are much better than the original versions... This song from Noir was rather dull and sad, and Yuriko managed to make it more powerful...

Houseki KEIKO

Houseki from Le Portrait de Petite Cossette. I like both versions of the song. The original song was sung by Marina Inoue but Keiko manages to pull it off in this song. The piano ending is really nice and much better than the bells ending featured in the original song.

Yume no tsubasa KAORI

This is a big change from the childish singing Yui Makino originally had forthis song (Tsubasa Chronicle yet again). Kaori's voice is much better in my opinion, even if the Yui Makino version doesn't bother me that much. In short, a big improvement...

Michiyuki KAORI

I've always loved this song featured in the Loveless anime. Such a peaceful and sad ballad. The original version was sung by another Kaori, Kaori Hikida. This is another hard choice, I don't know which of the versions I prefer. Both are beautiful... Maybe I would have to pick the original one, because Kaori Hikida has such an amazing voice.

Everlasting song ~ japanese edition ASUKA

Same version than the original song from Erementar Gerad! Such a shame that Asuka does not have more songs with Yuki Kajiura. She must be feeling so left out... Anyway, Everlasting Song is always a delight to my ears (check out my piano cover here).

0 comments:

Post a Comment