Seventh Heaven by Kalafina - Album Review

kalafina seventh heavenI'm so happy I got the chance to listen to this album before its official release (Thank you Zuiyon and Adi!). I've been listening to it non-stop for 5 days now... It's quite a feat to have so much Yuki Kajiura music being released in just 2 weeks, between the FictionJunction album, the latest kalafina single, and the first kalafina album.

Tracklist:

1. overture
2. oblivious
3. love come down
4. Natsu no Ringo
5. fairytale
6. ARIA
7. Mata Kaze ga Tsuyokunatta
8. Kizuato
9. serenato
10. Ongaku
11. Ashita no Keshiki
12. sprinter
13. Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku
14. seventh heaven

Watch the CM for the album here, it's really beautiful:


My Review of Seventh Heaven - 8/10

1. overture

A true kajiuran intro for the debut album of kalafina... Soothing and mysterious like her slow BGM tracks.

2. oblivious

This is the first kalafina single which was used as the theme song for the first Kara no Kyoukai movie. It's also the first kalafina song I ever heard, and after the first listen I wasn't really convinced by Kajiura's new project. I didn't like the song at all... I thought Yuki-sama wanted to go mainstream and commercial with the kalafina sound, which sounded too poppy for my taste. But now I actually really like oblivious, it's even one of my favorite kalafina songs! I think I initially wanted kalafina to be more like a FictionJunction v.2 project, but now I've come to appreciate the kalafina style and songs!

The rest is after the cut...

3. love come down

I didn't expect a song like this one to be on the kalafina album. Love come down is a fast-pace song with a very technoish feel to it. After a few listens you get used to it, and it's actually not that bad.

4. Natsu no Ringo

This song could have belonged on the El Cazador Soundtrack. Indeed, it features the same south-american sounding flute that held a prominent place on the El Cazadar OST. It has a typical kajiuresque melody and feel. I really like this one.

5. fairytale

Fairytale is the theme song for the 6th Kara no Kyoukai movie. It's also one of my favorite kalafina songs. Check out my review here and my piano cover here. It still gives me goosebumps!

6. ARIA

ARIA is the theme song for the fourth Kara no Kyoukai movie. It's also included in the second kalafina single. Thanks to this song, I was able to start appreciating kalafina. It's closer to that FictionJunction sound that I had initially missed. What I find particularly interesting in this song and in general in kalafinian songs is that choir-effect with the multi-layered voices. It's really intense and makes for a beautiful accompaniment throughout the song.

7. Mata Kaze ga Tsuyokunatta

This song is the only J-Rock style track featured on this album. It's always weird to hear Yuki Kajiura composing rocky songs with a lot of electric guitars. We're not really used to that kind of sound coming from her. I nonetheless found myself enjoying this song quite a lot. I think it's because of the beautiful chorus and the string arrangements...

8. Kizuato

Kizuato is the theme song for the third Kara no Kyoukai movie. It was the third track from the first kalafina single. This song reminds me of some See-Saw song, I just don't remember which one. It has that old-school kajiuran feel which I so much love... I could really see myself playing it on the piano! One of my favorites of the album.

9. serenato

This song was on the fairytale single. It's not that bad, even though the chorus bugs me for some reason. I find it too simple and too repetitive! I know a lot of people really love this song, and I don't really understand why...

10. Ongaku

Ongaku (hehe, same title as my blog) features some heavy techno beats and voice effects. I'm usually not a fan of those kind of songs, but I think Yuki Kajiura managed to pull it off! It has a very catchy chorus, and it's a fun song to listen to. But it's definitely not a typical kajiuran song.

11. Ashita no Keshiki

This song is a really slow ballad, sad and heartfelt without being over-dramatic. It's not the best ballad of the album (which is either Fairytale or Seventh Heaven, I haven't decided yet), but it's still charming nonetheless.

12. sprinter

This is the theme song for the fifth Kara no Kyoukai movie. It's also the second kalafina single. It's the second I heard from kalafina, and just like the first one (oblivious) I disliked it the first time I heard it. It has grown on me, and I'd even go as to say that I like it, even though it's not one of my favorite kalafina songs. Again, I think the chorus could have been better...

13. Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaete Iku

Yet another piano ballad, this is the theme song for the second Kara no Kyoukai movie. A very moving song that also features one of my favorite instruments, the cello. This song is easily one of my favorites from this album. I just love Wakana's voice in this song. Her pure and angelic voice is truly one the main reasons that made me fall in love with kalafina!

14. seventh heaven

Apparently seventh heaven will be the theme song for the 7th and final Kara no Kyoukai movie. In my opinion, this song is one of the best tracks of the album if not THE best! It's one of the best ballads Yuki Kajiura has ever written. So many emotions flow into this song. It's a pure delight for the ears!

0 comments:

Post a Comment